Pages

1/2/12

Sweet Finds (& Food!)

When we were up in Lewiston, we went to an antique store that Brianna has been in a few times and kept telling me about. But we've always been up there over a holiday and its been closed. This time we were finally able to go into the store. It is huge!! I wish I would've gotten a picture of the store and of the game wall - well, see the picture below with hot wheels cars going up it... behind that was a huge stack of games. We saw one that peaked our interest and asked the owner to get it down because there was no way we wanted to be the ones to knock over that stack. And the game was in the middle of it all & above our out-stretched arms.
I don't know if any of you have heard of it, but it's called Razzle and it came out in 1981. I'd never heard of it. All the pieces were there and the box was in good shape and it was only $5! We bought it... When we got back to Brianna's, she and Les played a game of it. It's kind of a cross between scrabble and boggle. There are 6 letter dice & whoever gets a word first gets to slide the red tray forward - that turns the dice and gives you different letters to make a word from. Brianna was doing a super job getting some five & six letter words. They had a lot of fun with it. Les really wanted to bring it home but in the end Brianna got to keep it and her and Kelley have enjoyed it.

I was amazed at the number of hot wheels, still in original packaging, in this store. This picture isn't even 1/2 of them I'm sure! They were selling for over $3 each and you can get new ones at Wal-mart for $1. But these may have been really old ones - I don't know. It was kind of overwhelming to look at all of them!

Cool old fashioned coffee grinder.

Things that make you go "Hmmmm".

WOW! An ivory cribbage board... for only $90!
Although the paper behind shows a picture of an identical one that sold on ebay for $150 - so $90 would be a pretty good deal I guess.

Simba got to join us for our walk in the lit up train park.

Kell, Tiff & Bri

a panoramic of the park and it's not even half of it!!!

There are 2 of these lighted archway paths. Brianna was a bit bummed though - I guess last year it was set up to change colors as you walked under it and it didn't do that this time.

The girls are standing on a "sensor board" that you can walk around on and figure out where the sensors are on the tree (the lights at the top of the picture). That was pretty cool.

And now for the SWEET food.
After all the trouble with the ice cream maker we've had the last few times we've made ice cream, Les splurged and got me the kitchen aid ice cream maker for Christmas. We tested it out yesterday and made some chocolate ice cream. Now, it only makes 2 quarts and you can't have it full to that 2 quart line before it starts churning, so I had to hold back a little and not whip the cream before adding it. Mom always whips her cream, so I have also when I make ice cream. I totally stuck to the 2 quart recipe in the book on this one. It turned out really good.  
This is just as it started...

...and 30 minutes later. Soft serve goodness!
I think it is really cool how it is open on the top and you can see it getting thicker. And it's not noisy and you don't need rock salt or ice!! Now the only dilemma is to figure out what flavor to do next...

1 comment:

Mike, Alice, and Hank the DOG said...

Now that is my kind of ice cream maker! I would probably eat the two quarts when done! Sure does look good. That antique store looked fun! And so the did light walk. I think you had a good time!